[MacDV] Problems with Compressor

carlian carlian at picknowl.com.au
Thu Jun 1 19:45:28 PDT 2006

Up until now I have been using "Export - Using QT Conversion" to move
my finished projects in FCP HD 4.5 across for burning in either iDVD,
or Toast 7.

Yesterday, I felt like taking anothert step up by utilising
"Compressor" via the Export function in FCP.      I had about one
hour of finished projects in FCP and it took almost a day for the
files to be converted to" MPEG-2 60 min.HQ Encode Widescreen" with my
G4 933 mhz 640 mb SDRAM machine.  (I am waiting for the Intel-Mac
tower to be released!).  The resultant files were DVD - PCM Audio and
MPEG 2 .   Several issues arose, namely:-

1. The resultant file formats will not be accepted by iDVD

2. Although the finished projects in FCP were completely synched re
audio and video, the longer a converted clip runs the more out-of-
synch the audio and
     video become.

3. The converted files were accepted by Toast 7 OK, but once the
burning was finished, I noted the out-of synch problem.  What has
happened and how can I
     check whether it was Toast that caused the out-of-synch problem
ie. is there any way I can view the Compressor converted files prior
to burning in Toast 7?
     I can't see where I can preview in Toast, but seem to remember
being able to do so in earlier versions.

Should I be using another preference in Compressor to encode my FCP
movies ready for DVD burning?

How could I have got the Compressor files into iDVD '06.

Any help would be appreciated.

Ian Tucker, Adelaide SA