[MacDV] Audio for the web.

Aaron macuser at aarons.fastmail.fm
Wed Mar 15 20:08:17 PST 2006

You didn't say what format the video is in, or what audio formats you know how to extract it to.

There's a free video program called 'D-Vision 3' that is a GUI interface for many OS X/UNIX video tools. It includes a tool for extracting audio from a '.avi' or .mpg' movie, as well as a tool for converting audio from various formats to mp3 or ac3, with many settings options. Unfortunately, its interface is confusing and finding the tool you want for a particular job may require a bit of effort until you get used to the program.

If you're starting with MPEG or DVD files, you can also use D-Vision 3, but MPEG Streamclip is a lot easier to use. (It's also free.)

If you do convert it to mono mp3 and have a decent encoder, 48 kbps should be more than adequate for spoken word. That would mean about 6 - 7 MB for a 20 minute monologue. You could probably get away with 32 kbps if you need to. Also, you could consider providing two versions, say 24 kbps for dialup users and 64 kbps for broadband users.

 - Aaron