[MacDV] Repackage .mov as .avi?

Michael Winter winter at mac.com
Fri May 26 06:49:53 PDT 2006

I have some older .mov video files that contain mpeg4 video, and a
DVD player that will play .avi files containing mpgeg4 video. If I
understand correctly, the only difference between the .mov and
the .avi file I want is the way the video and audio are packaged into
the file. Is that correct?

If so, is there a simple way to repackage the .mov files as .avi
files without having to transcode anything (no loss of quality)?
Everything I've tried (QTPro, ffmpegX, MPEGStreamclip, VLC) seems to
be transcoding, even if I do my best to pick the same settings.

Any help appreciated.

-Mike