[MacDV] audio editing

CM McDonald cmmcdonald at mac.com
Tue Nov 21 23:47:29 PST 2006

On 21 Nov 2006, at 20:00, aaron robinsun wrote:

> OK basically i have several clips of some interviews however the
> background noise is extremely loud.  There are conversations going on
> (just sounds like chatter) and a band playing in the background.  I
> can hear enough of the interview, but is it possible to eliminate the
> background noise or dim it.
>
> I have FC express HD, i dont know if u can do anything using sound
> track, but i dont know which of the audio filters to use.
>
> Aaron Robinso
> 24" core 2 duo iMac 2.16GHz 1.5GB RAM

I don't think you will improve it much - particularly with a random
noise like chatter and varying multiple pitches from a band. It is
easier to remove steady sounds (motor hums, central heating etc) with
various filters in a programme like Logic, ProTools or Cubase but even
then the results are rarely satisfactory. If you can record a chunk of
the ambient noise at the time it makes this easier (or you could try
looping a section where there is a lengthy pause in the conversation)
then one of the smart noise-cancelling plugins might help. Basically
they feed in an out-of-phase signal like the air force use in pilots'
headsets to cut the engine noise.

I would cut your losses, save a lot of time and reshoot with the sound
much better designed if possible or add subtitles if not.

Sorry if this is not what you want to here, but I have been there
several times, and I always vow it will never happen again. That's why
there are so many people involved in a professional shoot - it's very
difficult to concentrate adequately on all the technical jobs - sound,
lighting, camera let alone the artistic and production ones at the same
time.

Colin McDonald