[MacDV] Transitions in iMovie HD

Steve Robertson stever at mindspring.com
Sat Aug 11 05:51:50 PDT 2007

In the past, I often used iMovie to create Ken Burns sequences with
several still photos. After adjusting the motion of each photo, I
would add Fade In, Fade Out, and a Cross Dissolve between each photo.

I just tried to do the same thing with iMovie HD for the first time.
When I try to add transitions, I get a dialog box telling me that I
can not add transitions between very short clips. It says that clips
must be at least 3:49:16 to add transitions. Old versions of iMovie
handled transitions between ten second clips just fine!

If you are doing serious editing, most of your clips will be less
than 3 minutes. So iMovie HD is, in effect, telling me that I can't
use transitions at all. Anyone have any idea why there should be such
a radical change between the versions? Anyone have a good work around?

Thanks,
Steve R.