[MacDV] Best way of saving large quantity of interviews

Gordon Alley gordon at gordonalley.com
Thu Feb 15 14:13:20 PST 2007

A DVD recorder records in real time.

AFAIK, all the recorder needs is a video signal coming in (I presume it has
inputs for component video, composite video, and Firewire). I've hooked my
Canon camcorder to my iMac via Firewire and used it as a live camera for
video chat, so I know the video signal from the camera can be passed to its
Firewire output without having to actually record on tape.

You might have to play around with your camcorder menus to get it set up.
For one thing, you don't want the camera to automatically power down after a
few minutes because it thinks it isn't being used.

If the Firewire connection doesn't work, trying hooking the composite video
output from the camcorder to the DVD recorder.

This should be pretty easy to test.

-Gordon

--
Gordon B. Alley