[MacDV] Final Cut Pro/Quicktime

carlian carlian at picknowl.com.au
Mon May 14 05:32:08 PDT 2007

I have been processing holiday pix and I thought I was about to
finish the project when I found the last 16 minute slideshow (#10)
made in FCP has a problem after I have  exported to QuickTime.

Although the project looks fine in FCP it doesn't after I have
created a QT movie.  The problem occurs  anywhere I have dragged a
transition from the effects tab to an edit point in the timeline.

If I use a 3 second  transition between two clips , the first clip
goes black for one frame around 40 frames from the end of that
clip .   This creates a brief "flash " of black each time there is a
transition whilst watching the movie.

The first 9 films processed fine and I have checked to see the
settings I am using are the same.    I have re-built the movie in
FCP; downloaded the last Pro Run Update; re-started the computer
etc , etc over the past two days.

It seems the problem is with QuickTime and I am wondering whether I
have processed Film #10 after installing the recent Upgrade (7.1.6)
and that the cause may lie there.  I suppose one way of getting
around the problem
is to go into QT Pro and delete the offending clip from each affected
transition.    Anywhere I have used the pen tool to create a fade
there is not a problem.

I have run permissions in Disk Utility and also Cocktail to clear
caches and run cron-scripts.  I have 63 GB free space on my external
HD where the project is stored.

Any clues guys before I go even balder?

Thanks,

Ian Tucker