[MacDV] iMovie HD and Sony HC5

PD Chris Cesena CCesena at redwoodcity.org
Tue Nov 20 09:53:19 PST 2007

Hi,
I am running into problems copying a DV tape made on a Sony HC5 to
iMovie and then back to a fresh DV tape.

Here are the specs:

iMac with 2 GHz PowerPC G5, 1 GB DDR SDRAM, OS 10.4.11
iMovie HD
Sony HC5 camcorder

All I want to do is make a copy of the original tape. The footage was
recorded in HD. I am OK with importing it to iMovie in DV and exporting
it back to a fresh tape in DV (the HD is not that important to me, at
least for now).
I tried to import the original footage into iMovie via DV, but iMovie
did not import the entire 60 minute tape. When I tried to export the
footage back to a new tape, the process (iMovie) stopped halfway
through. Footage that was successfully exported to the new tape had
video and audio sync problems.

Can someone help me figure out how to properly set up my Sony HC5 and
iMovie to make this work?

Thanks for your help.