[MacDV] LP to Computer

Zane H. Healy healyzh at aracnet.com
Mon Nov 26 22:57:59 PST 2007

At 11:51 AM -0500 11/26/07, DGH wrote:
>Hello and thanks to  Zane, Gorden. Mike & Tom
>
>I tried a Griffen iMic I have but it must be an old one as it as 2
>inputs icons of a mike and a speaker, no stereo.
>  My turntable has a preamp and a red & a white RCA output and also a
>USB outlet cord. The red & white plugs have metal shieldlke things
>around the actual plug. Also, there is no input mike on my iMac.
>laptop . The Griffen software Final Vinyl is the latest version.
>
>I tried  bringing in sound from turntable with one RCA input plug.
>Software seems to function but nothing comes over.

I'm going to ask what might be a very stupid question, have you tried
hooking the turntable up to a Stereo Receiver and seeing what you
get?  Is there a switch on the turntable to switch between the
internal phono pre-amp, and using an external one?

>I guess I have to go back and struggle with Audacity music software
>which came with the  Turntable.

Do any instructions on configuring Audacity for the audio inputs come
with it?  You have a tricky problem there.  Trust me, interfacing
audio interfaces and audio software on the Mac can be tricky (I've no
idea how hard it is on Windows).

>>I have a Audio-Technica LP2D-USB turntable. Mac OS 10.4.1 Power PC
>>800 MHz G4 original flat panel Mac.
>
>I guess I could buy the Toast update (I have version 5) or BiasPeak
>LE or some other software but first I need to get the sound signal
>into the computer and have to know if the app recognizes the USB
>input.. The Audacity app recognizes the USB input from the
>turntable. But I find Audacity cryptic in trying to use it. Anybody
>know if you
>have to save a blank space before trying to bring in the signal? How?

I have no experience with the audio software in recent versions of
Toast, I'm running V6 so am not much better off than you. :^)  The
only reason I'm running that new of a version is because I had to
upgrade 4 years ago when I purchased this system.  I'm quite honestly
leery of the software with Toast, as I believe it is based on the
software that comes with Easy-CD Creator.

I highly recommend Bias Peak, I'm currently using the LE version as I
had both Bias Peak 2.1 and Bias Peak Express 3.3, and was able to
upgrade to LE from Express during a special deal dirt cheap.  If
you'll be doing a lot of editing and need to use multiple plug-ins at
once, the full version is worth the money, as you can only load one
plug-in at a time in the LE version.  The question is, will you be
able to interface it via the USB connection?  Is there something that
allows the USB connection to be made available via Core Audio?

Zane