[MacDV] New version of iMovie

Gordon Alley gordon at gordonalley.com
Wed Jun 18 18:43:12 PDT 2008

If you haven't already, go here for many web pages of info and a bunch of
video tutorials about iMovie '08 (AKA iMovie v7):
Apple - iLife - iMovie - New in iMovie '08<http://www.apple.com/ilife/imovie/>

iMovie '08 was designed to minimize the learning curve for beginners. It
does have some sophisticated features, but they aren't obvious without a
good bit of study. For one thing, it imports a wider range of media formats
than iMovie v6 (provided by many of the newer non-tape camcorder models).

I think that Apple felt that many customers were avoiding editing video
because they didn't want to take the time to learn iMovie. That's not to say
that there weren't a lot of people who were using iMovie to create
quite-complex productions, often with the aid of some cool third-party
plugins (not available for iMovie '08).

I'm guessing that Apple expects most advanced iMovie folks to move up to
Final Cut Express. That's what I'm in the process of doing right now. Now
there's your classic timeline! :-)

Apple - Final Cut Express - New in Final Cut Express
4<http://www.apple.com/finalcutexpress/>

BTW, anyone who owns iMovie '08 (via iLife '08) is entitled to a free
download of iMovie v6.

Good luck!

-Gordon

--