[MacDV] Testing 1-2-3

Rauno Teravainen raunot at comcast.net
Tue May 12 02:22:03 PDT 2009

It's been slow, 2 to 10 posts a month.

About your other post, I used to have a Panasonic for a long time, but
about a year ago it's tape transport mechanism went kaputt.  I still
used it by capturing directly to a Power Book Pro, but that was
cumbersome at the best.  So decided to buy a new HD camcorder.

The make/model I decided for was Hitachi DZ-BD10HA and I love this.
It's also called a BlueRay Camcorder, it has a 30 GB hard drive as the
main storage, SD card slot (for video or 6 Megapixel stills) and a BD
burner for 80mm BlueRay.  It is like dream to me, does what it is
supposed to do and does it well.  It records in AVCHD format, which is
based on mpeg-4 as I understand it, the files are easily loaded to any
newish Mac (I have used both, Intel iMac 24 2.8 GHz and an old G-4 tower
1.8 Ghz) and converted, by Toast for example, to HDV or H.264, which
both can be edited by any of the Mac editors.  I paid for it $799 at
Sams and I think the current Sams price is $599.

My two cents.

I hope this helps to explore the possibilities there are today, at the
time I bought mine, there was no information available how or if it
would work with Mac, but I bought it because of the new AVCHD standard
speculating that it would then or soon after be Mac compatible.  It was
from the day one.

Rauno.