[MacDV] DVD problems

Derek Roff derek at unm.edu
Mon Sep 28 10:42:46 PDT 2009

The System Profiler on all of my recent Macs report that the drives
will write +R DL and -R DL discs.  In spite of this, I have seldom seen
-R DL discs for sale.

I didn't understand Paul's link and reference to "point 10" of the
Amazon DVD page.  Paul, can you explain further?   What I saw on the
linked page (the first of four) was more than a dozen +R DL options,
with nothing special about item 10.  Perhaps the order of the items on
the page has changed since Paul posted it.  As of this moment, 11 AM
Mountain Time, 2009.9.28, of the 50 items on the four associated pages,
only 4 are -R DL discs:  items 19 (Philips), 22 (JVC), 26 (JVC), 46
(RiData) are shown as DVD-R DL discs.  There are a few non-disc items,
and more than forty +R DL offerings.

<http://www.amazon.com/s/qid=1254157696/ref=sr_pg_2?ie=UTF8&rs=&keywords=dvd-dl%20media&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Advd-dl%20media&page=2>

It's interesting to me that for the most part, the -R DL discs are
cheaper than +R DL discs packed in similar quantities.  I use -R single
layer DVDs, because I've had good luck with Taiyo Yuden white inkjet
printable disks, and the -R version is a bit cheaper and more widely
available than the +R version.  And also because we have a dedicated
DVD recorder, which only takes single layer -R discs.  I seldom make DL
discs, and up to now, I've used Verbatim and Memorex discs with good
results.

Years ago, we found -R single layer discs to be more compatible with
our various DVD players.  I think those times are largely past, and
that both -R and +R discs play in most players.  I am curious what
other list members are using for both single layer and double layer
discs, and what your recent compatibility experiences have been.

Thanks,

Derek

Derek Roff
Language Learning Center