[MG] so what's been up with the list?

Marc van Gemert listz at xs4all.nl
Mon Nov 29 03:26:11 PST 2004

Op 25-nov-04 om 11:55 heeft Gregory Davis het volgende geschreven:

> However, the gamer in me would like to see a special iMac Gamer
> edition.  I doubt this would ever happen.  Maybe someone should start
> a grass roots movement and petition Apple to make an iMac special
> edition for Gaming.  However, this would take a lot of signatures and
> if people didn't buy the machine then it would probably never happen
> again.  I'm guessing that Apple would go back to putting in video
> cards that are acceptable for gaming in the iMacs.
>
> What do you guys think Apple should put in a gaming iMac G5 and then
> what do you think they should charge?
>
> I'd like to see your answers.  Think about it this way.
>
> Before you answer think of the following.
>
> If you put a NVIDIA 6800 Ultra in the machine for gaming then you
> better be willing to pay 500 dollars more for a 20 inch iMac.  Are you
> willing to pay 2300 dollars for it?  How many people would pay (think
> parents here) 2300 vs 1800 for the gaming iMac?

Although it would be cool to see a special iMac Gamer edition w/ 6800
Ultra or X800Pro I don't think this will be a success. Because the real
hardcore gamers buy a PC/built a PC themselves and get themselves a
fast and expensive video card.
Why the PC? Well still a lot of games aren't being released for the
Mac, that used to be so in the past, and that will continue, I mean you
wanna play Halflife 2 or Need for Speed Underground 2 right now? Not on
the Mac... Even Bungie went for the big money and released Halo for the
XBox first, the Mac and PC version were released a year later IIRC
(which I regret BTW).
Don't get me wrong, the first computer I owned was a Mac and I still
have several I use such as my G3 (server) and my clamshell iBook, and a
still do pre-press on a daily bases on a Mac, but a few years ago I
switched to a PC for gaming. Why? Well I'm a harcore gamer as they say
and to play all the latest FPS and race sims I need a PC since I can't
play them on the Mac.
I think this is why a special iMac Gamer edition won't be a success.

Marc

*
*