[MPA] Anybody working with Minidisc and Mac?

John Pariseau simplymail at ururk.com
Mon Aug 11 06:32:39 PDT 2003

> Hi everybody,
>
> I just got a Minidisc a couple of weeks ago (Sony MZ-NF810, I
> believe).  Now
> that I own it, I realize I was potentially optimistic about getting it
> to talk
> to my Mac.  You see, I figured that since it had a USB port that it
> would be
> seen almost as an external hard drive or something.  But that's not
> the case.
>
> Has anybody had any luck with digital transfer from MD --> Mac without
> having
> to buy any extra gear (say, a PC?)?  I've tried xmd, but with no
> success.

The only ways you can (currently) transfer from MD to PC/Mac is via
Real time playback. Either Analog or Digital out. You will need to buy
an adapter. I have a PBG4 and a Griffin iMic. I use the Line Out of my
MD, and the Line in on the iMic. I boot into OS 9 to record.

Keep your eyes on www.minidisc.org and watch for news. I think from
time to time they list sales on various MD gear, including the Digital
to USB adapters.