Audio I/O Interface and Other Newbie Questions

Steve Shapiro shapsteve at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 18 13:57:26 PST 2003

Thank you everyone for your excellent help and insight about bit depth
vs. sampling rate and on audio I/O devices!  Considering that I'll
probably want to do lots of "tweaking" to my audio files after
recording them, I can definitely see the wisdom in having extra bits to
play with. I can also see the value in wanting the option of being able
to take advantage of potential future formats (such as DVD-audio) that
utilize higher bit depth and sample rates.  So yes, I'll be shooting
for a 24-bit/96 kHz interface.  Speaking of which, it seems that just
about everyone feels the MOTU 828 is the best non-internal device out
there that's within a relatively reasonable price range (not that I
don't agree with Mike that the digi002 is incredibly cool, albeit
notably higher priced).

So in other words, all my questions have been answered. Again, thank
you all so much for generously taking the time to help me out!

-Steve