[MPA] Groove Agent and CPU upgrades

Scott Jacob Loehr scott.loehr at verizon.net
Tue Jul 22 14:15:32 PDT 2003

>Also, I'm in desperate need of a CPU upgrade.  My box is a single
>550MHz, 1GB, G4 with several SCSI160 drives.  It's essentially a Digital
>Audio with some customizations.  The CPU is killing me though -- it
>often pegs during busy mix downs and I have to bump tracks, which kind
>of defeats the purpose of a DAW, y'know? :)

I know what you mean... I've been running Digital Performer on a 500
mHz, 1.5 GB G4 with Ultra 160 drives.  The main CPU killer is
reverb... the two that I use the most are RealVerb and AltiVerb.  I
can get a couple of RealVerbs going with a bunch of EQs and some
delay/mod effects, and most of the time, I can get one AltiVerb by
itself.  There are a couple of Impulse Responses that I can't run.
On mixes like these, I'm regularly bouncing tracks with lots of
plug-ins to free up the CPU.  It doesn't bother me too much,
considering what we're getting today for our $$$.
	However, I did break down and order a Dual 2 gHz G5 the day
they were announced... should arrive by September 2nd.  Between
AltiVerb and GigaSampler files, I'll bring it to its knees!!!  :)

>I've been eyeing the price drops on chip upgrades and the price points
>are getting attractive.  But I'm unsure exactly which way to go,
>especially when my main app is Cubase SX.  I've been looking at the
>Powerlogix chips as they seem to have a fairly good rep from what I can
>tell.

I can't remember who it was... might've been either Mackie or TC
Works (I've got both of their PCI cards) or MOTU... but someone
advised against getting a processor upgrade card.  Check with all
your DAW/plug-ins/hardware makers to make sure a CPU card will work.

>Is it better to get a single 1.2GHz chip or shoot for say a dual 867 or
>933?  Can SX take full advantage of the dual processors?  I'm not sure I
>can spend the bucks for a dual 1.2 upgrade.

Everyone I've talked with says to get the dual processor.  I don't
know about Cubase, but if the software is optimized for it, you'll
see substantial speed increases/plug-in count with a DP machine.

>I'm also worried about heat output.  Already, my G4 bakes my room pretty
>well after a few hours.  While I suppose the internal fans in the G4
>will keep the box itself cool, I'm worried about my A/C bills :).
>
>Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
>
>-Barry

Are you using a CRT monitor or an LCD?  A CRT will put out tons of
heat... I've got a 21" Apple CRT display, and it's like having an
extra space heater after it's been on for a while.  I turn off the
display all the time when I've got something else to take care of at
the house, even if it's just for a couple of minutes.  The LCD
monitors put out a lot less heat and use less A/C.
	The hard drives are the next culprit... makes me wonder if
there's something behind those TV shows and movies that show the
Save-The-World-With-My-Computer kids putting their hard drives in a
cooler with dry ice.  I've just put together an 8-bay external
tower... right now, it's got four 73 GB Ultra 160 SCSI drives, and it
gets way warm after a few hours of usage.  The case has two fans in
it; I'm wondering if it might be a good idea to put more fans inside
the box and to separate the drives a bit... right now, they're in the
top four bays.  I've thought about putting them in bays 1, 3, 5, and
7 to give them a little room in between....

Scott Jacob Loehr