Protools help

Bobbo bobbo924 at earthlink.net
Sun Sep 7 11:51:53 PDT 2003

>Hi, as a beginner with Pro tools 6.0 and the Mbox. I am figuring much out
>on my own,
> though I am still running into some road blocks. Is there a way to erase
>all the
>takes that I do not want so I am not cluttering up my hard drive. When I
>record the different
>takes
>they just keep piling up in the audio window. When I try to click on them
>and press delete,
>nothing happens. Any suggestions will be apreciated. Phil

Hi, Phil. Fairly new to PT/mBox myself. This is a great list and there are
others. Go to groups.yahoo.com and search Pro Tools.

One thing that is not obvious is that, at the top of the list you mention,
is a box that says AUDIO. Looks like just a decorative list head, but is
actually a menu. Press on it. Under "Select" you'll find "Unused Regions."
This will find them all, preventing you from having to select all your
unused takes manually, one at a time. All your unused regions will now be
highlighted.

Now, press on Audio again. A dialog box comes up giving you the choice to
Remove the regions from the session but leave them on your drive (least
risky but no salvaged space -- not your question), Delete the files from
your drive (the solution you're asking for) or to cancel out of the box.
Or, you can choose COMPACT SELECTED from the same Audio menu topper, and it
will give you the opportunity to compact files, allowing for padding at
each end in case you want to crossfade with something.

NOTE: If you are using a region in the current session, and then use the
same region in another session via Import Audio  without making a copy,
then compact or remove it, it will be gone from your first session as well.
File management is a central issue in any DAW.

One more suggestion. Consider investing in a book. I have four of 'em, and
all are helpful. You didn't mention your system or platform, whether you're
in PT5 or 6. Check with the usual book sources to locate such gems as Pro
Tools Power, Pro Tools LE Quick Start Guide (a new one for 6 is due out any
time, or may be on the shelves already), Producing in the Home Studio with
Pro  Tools. If you get the latter and are using PT6, make sure you get the
2nd edition (2003). There are others. PT is an incredibly deep program
with, if I may say so lovingly, a lot of idiosyncrasies. A book will take
you through the twists, turns, and less-than-obvious wonders step by step.

Bobbo

New Photopaintings at http://www.bobbogoldberg.com

Voice Over website: http://www.bob-vo.com

And don't forget: do good works for free at http://www.thehungersite.com