Microphones for the Macintosh

Martin Markoe martin at speechcontrol.com
Sun Nov 24 09:31:01 PST 2002

Mike,

Due to the position of the monitor and keyboard the microphone must be about
a foot away from my mouth. This requires that the microphone have a very
high sensitivity. It will pick up any noise in the room. I read about people
having high accuracy using ViaVoice and am wondering whether a better
microphone position would improved my accuracy.

I have never heard of a Verse 704 USB microphone. A search of the Internet
did not find this term as well. In most cases the best microphones work at a
consistent close distance to mouth, one to three inches. The quieter the
room environment is the further the microphone can be from the mouth.

I cannot put headphones on. I am in a wheelchair. Is there a setup that
would allow me to wheel up in front of the monitor and keyboard like normal
but would allow me to get closer to the microphone? Is there I microphone
that would attach to my desk and allow me to position the microphone closer
to my mouth?

We supply several of these microphones that should meet your needs. Please
check out our selection of desktop mounted microphones at:
http://www.emicrophones.com/microphones/product_detail.asp?subcatID=3
The two Sennheiser's will yield the highest accuracy and greatest noise
cancellation when used a close distances. The ME65/K-6 can be used at
distances up to 20 inches as long as the background noise is very minimal.
The trick in this case is to redo the audio setup whenever you significantly
changed distances or if the noise level significantly changes. If you can
wheel up to the microphone consider the Shure VR 116 L or the Sennheiser
MD431II both of which mount nicely on our ProBoom. The Buddy Gooseneck
microphones are good if used in up to moderate noise environments as long as
you speak closely. I have not tested the Acoustic Magic Voice Tracker Array
on a Macintosh because of unresolved compatibility issues.

Remember, the trick to a desk mounted or handheld microphone is to keep the
distance between your mouth and the microphone head consistent.

Martin Markoe, eMicrophones, Inc.
The best microphones for Speech Recognition
See us at: http://www.eMicrophones.com
See, "Key Steps to High Speech Recognition Accuracy for the Mac" at:
http://www.emicrophones.com/articles/Mac_Key_Steps.asp