[MV] Ilisten and ViaVoice

JSenecal at aol.com JSenecal at aol.com
Mon Aug 25 12:31:13 PDT 2003

>1.  Recognition accuracy is far below VV at similar stages of training and
>use.  Is this just me, or is this a common phenomenon?

Recognition accuracy has been about the same for me. Neither has been
very high, but my primary microphone has a weak signal, and I'm dictating
strange word orders (programming code).

>2.  ilisten also adds a large number of extraneous words (I suspect they are
>breathing related).  I turned up the silence threshold, and that helped, but
>not sufficiently.

I see that problem intermittently. Sometimes it's so bad that dictation
is unusable. I see this problem most using the Andrea NC-7100 microphone.

It also seems to depend on which nostril I'm breathing though at the time
(due to chronic congestion, I usually have only one nostril clear).

>3.  The inability (unless I'm missing something) of adding phrases (e.g.
>proper names), except via "Learn my Vocabulary", is a pain.  I don't want to
>write a bunch of stuff with all the names I want in it.  I just want to add
>the names I use frequently.  Am I missing something here?

I just use the correction mechanism to add new words such as proper
names. I just say the word, and when iListen gets it wrong, I correct it,
and then set the phonetics for the word. Being able to add new words this
way is one of the best new features of iListen (in my opinion).

If it still gets it wrong, I take a closer look at the phonetics, and
check to see if they match how I pronounce the word.

Joe Senecal