IBM's ViaVoice on Macintosh OS X and Windows XP

Damien Fox ahdfox at mac.com
Mon Dec 1 14:47:12 PST 2003

  I second that--I have a PowerBook G4 with an 867 MHz processor/640MB
running OS 10.3 with ViaVoice and no significant problems.  The dual
867 MHz G4 Tower I used previously was definitely faster, but the
PowerBook is still quite functional.

My roommate, also a law student, suffers from repetitive strain
injuries as well.  We both find ourselves dictating entire papers and
creating course summaries on a daily basis.  That is, we create a
variety of documents from e-mail's to term papers, Both of us doing
almost exactly the same work.  We have both been using ViaVoice for
nearly a year now.

  While I use my PowerBook, he uses a Dell 1.7 gigahertz/256MB machine
running Windows XP with the Windows version of ViaVoice.

  our recognition success rate and satisfaction with the program is
virtually identical.  That is not to say the programs themselves are
identical, however.  The Windows version of ViaVoice provides, in my
eyes, two main advantages over the Macintosh version.  first, it allows
correction in any application, not just speakpad.  This means he
actually uses the correction feature, while I do not as I dictate
directly into AppleWorks.  second, the Windows version of ViaVoice
provides superior dictation speed when dictating in Microsoft word.  I
do not know why, but this is a fact.

  In conclusion, I argue that the actual recognition rates are the same
on both platforms, at least when using IBM's ViaVoice.  The Windows
version provides better correction and better integration with
Microsoft word ( if you consider that an advantage ;-))

  furthermore, the Windows version of IBM's ViaVoice came with a much
nicer looking USB headset than the Macintosh version.  it seems to
function equally well, but I have not tried to switching headsets to
see if the work on each other's platforms.

Program stability, however, seems better on the Macintosh than on
windows.  This is not a scientific assessment but based on our mutual
rantings in the hallway when our respective programs refuse to
cooperate.

Installation is also significantly easier ( at least in our situation
and experience) on the Macintosh than on the Windows version.  My
roommate was an avid Windows gamer, yet still had difficulty setting up
Ibm's ViaVoice on his Dell Computer.

  finally, the Windows version of IBM's ViaVoice is cheaper than the
Macintosh version.  I don't remember the prices now, but I remember he
paid less than I did by I think 40 or $50.

In the end, the advantages of using a Macintosh outweigh the slight
interface advantages of the Windows version of IBM's ViaVoice, given
that the most important consideration of recognition accuracy seems to
be identical.

  while voice recognition software is not yet where I think most of us
would want it to be, there are ways to improve recognition accuracy and
one's satisfaction with the program.  fully training the system,
performing corrections, adding words to the vocabulary, and maybe even
going to some voice coaching lessons will all help make the program
work better.  As a side note to all the law students out there, the
legal add-on pack for IBM's ViaVoice is generally useless for
Canadians, as It mostly focuses on American abbreviations and contains
very Latin terms.  I added about 50 legal terms to my vocabulary and
that seems to work just fine.

  if you like your Mac but don't like your voice software, switching to
a PC will not help you, unless Dragon dictate ( or whatever it's
called) is significantly better than IBM's ViaVoice.  This may change
in the future: from what people have been saying on this list looks
like IBM's ViaVoice has been orphaned on the Macintosh, and our only
future hope is iListen from MacSpeech.

For now, however rest assured that so long as you have a working system
( in my case a new PowerBook with the latest operating system) your
Macintosh works roughly as well as its Windows counterpart.