[MV] text to speech to mp3/audio cd

Jay A. Kreibich jak at uiuc.edu
Sun Feb 16 20:53:16 PST 2003

On Sun, Feb 16, 2003 at 08:18:23AM -0800, Robert Crawford scratched on the wall:

> I am not sure if this is the right list to ask this question, but here
> goes.  I want to take some, legally acquired, ebooks, such as those at
> www.blackmask.com, and convert them into audio books for playing in my
> car on the way to work.  Is this possible?  If so, how?  I have via
> voice for X and was trying to figure out a way to make it play to a file.

  If you can get the ebooks into raw text or RTF or anything that
  TextEdit can open, just use the menu option Edit -> Sppeking -> Start
  Speaking.  You might have to "select all" first.  You can either play
  these into a tape recorder, or use something like Audio Hijack to
  redirect the system's audio out to a AIFF file.  At that point you
  can burn a Red Book CD (standard audio) or make MP3 files or whatever.

  You can also use something like Voice Box which will take test and
  read it directly to AIFF files.  This has the added plus of allowing
  fairly fine control over voice rate and pitch, so you can adjust
  things to read as quickly as you can understand it.

  Both of these techniques (like VV) use Apple's TTS engine.

  Audio Hijack:  <http://www.rogueamoeba.com/>
  Voice Box:     <http://www.realmacsoftware.com/>

    -j

--
                     Jay A. Kreibich | Integration & Software Eng.
                        jak at uiuc.edu | Campus IT & Edu. Svcs.