[MV] Re: rc=0 in step 16

T. Patrick Henebry tphenebry at comcast.net
Wed Jan 22 14:04:48 PST 2003

>Why would this be the case that one is "better off not using this
>feature"?  I understand diminishing returns...

In some situations excessive use of this feature can actually degrade
accuracy.  I've had it happen to me, and so have others.  Usually
it's because the users voice has temporarily changed due to cold,
fatigue, or there is an external cause such as a background noise
level that is different.  If this feature is used repeatedly under
those conditions (most likely out of habit) then over all accuracy
will suffer.

Perhaps I should have said it needs to be used with some awareness of
when it is appropriate and when it isn't.  In my own personal
experience there is no measurable difference in accuracy between
using the feature and not using it after about six weeks.  So after
that time frame I stop using it to avoid he possibility of
accidentally degrading accuracy.  Keep in mind I am a *heavy* user of
ViaVoice.  others may get different results.