[MV] Type of Microphone to Purchase

Martin Markoe martin at emicrophones.com
Sat Jul 12 06:30:47 PDT 2003

Stan wrote:

My computer is an iMac G4/800 and the Speech programme I am using, is
ViaVoice version 3.0. I would like to upgrade to a better type of
microphone. The microphone I am using at the moment, is the microphone
that came with the programme

ViaVoice for OS X requires a microphone with USB input. This can be a USB
microphone (essentially an analog microphone with a USB soundcard integrated
to the cable) or a USB soundcard  to which you can connect any standard
microphone.

Personally, we use and recommend using a separate USB soundcard like the
Andrea or VXI as this gives you modularity in choice of microphone. For
ViaVoice we now recommend the TalkPro Xpress headset and the Andrea USB
soundcard. If you want a handheld microphone (can be mounted on a movable
arm) consider the Sennheiser e835s combined with the VXI USB soundcard.

Both a headset and handheld mounted on the arm allow you to dictate hands
free. The advantage to a good headset is the microphone element consistently
stays in the proper position when you turn your head. The disadvantage is
you must put on and take off the headset. A good handheld microphone mounted
on a movable arm has the advantage of you not being tethered to the
computer. However, you must discipline yourself to not turn your head away
while dictating or accuracy will suffer.

See these recommended items at:
http://www.emicrophones.com/microphones/prod_details.asp?prodID=065
http://www.emicrophones.com/microphones/prod_details.asp?prodID=056
http://www.emicrophones.com/microphones/prod_details.asp?prodID=059
http://www.emicrophones.com/microphones/prod_details.asp?prodID=003
http://www.emicrophones.com/microphones/prod_details.asp?prodID=047

Martin Markoe, eMicrophones, Inc.
The best microphones for Speech Recognition
See us at: http://www.emicrophones.com/index.asp
New to SR? Read "Mac Key Steps to High Speech Recogntion Accuracy:"
http://www.emicrophones.com/docDetails.asp?DocumentID=39