[MV] Re: ViaVoice vs. iListen

Domains4Days.com Lists at domains4days.com
Tue Jun 17 05:54:14 PDT 2003

On 6/16/03 8:07 AM, "Rebecca J. Hoffman" <rebecca at syracusenet.net> wrote:

> I am also interested in iListen's claim to be able to transcribe from a
> digital voice recorder. Does anyone have any experience of this? How
> well does it work?

I have never tried this myself, but as I have described before, I highly
doubt that the ability to transcribe directly from a digital voice recorder
is anywhere near practical.

Of course it sounds like a nice idea, but in reality, things like microphone
inputs, the distance you record from - and most of all: background noise
would more than likely bring the voice-recognition to a very low percentage
- so much so, that you would have to spend so much time correcting and
editing that this would be impractical.

Here's my personal solution, as I have described before:

- record anything you want into the digital voice recorder - anywhere. Then
later, using the very fast IBM SpeakPad - as you hold the recorder close to
your ear, softly playback a small section of the digital recording. ( it's
quite easy to set the volume soft enough that you can hear it fine - yet the
ViaVoice microphone will not pick any of it up) - Repeat out loud - what you
just heard on the recording. Of course you can make any changes you want as
you go.

The great benefit here is the high accuracy of dictation from your actual
voice. Even better, is that you can 'repeat' anything said by anybody
(friend - lecture etc.)! No consumer voice modeler can do that! The obvious
drawback, is that it takes extra time to get your thoughts on paper.

Hope this helps - revdave

--
RevDave
Lists at domains4days.com