[MV] Re: ViaVoice vs. iListen

T. Patrick Henebry tphenebry at comcast.net
Wed Jun 18 12:26:51 PDT 2003

At 23:25 +1000 6/18/03, Erika wrote:
>I don't think ViaVoice has had an upgrade in over a year, although someone
>please correct me if I am wrong

ViaVoice for Mac OS X was released in November of 2001. Aside from
releasing Simply Dictation which is ViaVoce for Mac OS X without some
features and no bundled microphone, and the Jaguar patch IBM has done
nothing with the product. If a bug was present at release it's still
there a year and a half later.

Personally, I doubt IBM will ever do anymore with the product unless
future OS releases seriously break it. The small sales of ViaVoice
for the Mac simply do not give them enough economic incentive.

>I have it in writing from an Australian IBM ViaVoice support
>technician that IBM have sold the rights to publish, sell, and
>support the Via Voice family of products to Scansoft, the company
>which makes Dragon Naturally Speaking.
>
>I can see no mention of this on the  ScanSoft website, or the IBM
>website, although the technician assures me that IBM announced it
>publicly on their website in April.

Here's URL for the full press release on ScanSoft's site:

<http://www.scansoft.com/news/pressreleases/2003/20030425_ibm.asp>

The key paragraph is the following:

"ScanSoft will Distribute IBM ViaVoice Desktop Products - IBM has
granted ScanSoft global distribution rights to IBM ViaVoice desktop
dictation products. ScanSoft will market, distribute, sell and
support the product for the Microsoft Windows and Apple Macintosh
platforms. The relationship leverages ScanSoft's expertise and
resources in delivering productivity applications through broad
channels and will help bring dictation solutions to a wider audience.
IBM's ViaVoice desktop products complement the ScanSoft Dragon
NaturallySpeaking family by expanding languages and channels for
China, Germany, Japan and Latin America, and by adding
Macintosh-based editions to its product line. IBM will continue to
enhance and develop new versions of ViaVoice desktop products."

**IBM still has responsibility for further development.**

There is no way IBM would relinquish development of the ViaVoice code
since parts of it are used in their high-end WebSphere applications.

I do remember reading a press release on IBM's site; but I cannot
locate it (they don't keep all of their press releases online