Apple's announcement of a new Spoken Interface

T. Patrick Henebry tphenebry at macspeech.com
Thu Mar 18 11:09:39 PST 2004

Greetings!

Several customers have been emailing us asking how Apple's
announcement of a new Spoken Interface
<http://www.apple.com/accessibility/spokeninterface/> will impact
them. We'd like to help you understand the importance of this new
technology that is currently under development at Apple, as well as
explain how it differs from the technology MacSpeech is using.

What Apple is developing is a "Spoken Interface" not a "Speech
Interface." The difference is important. A Spoken Interface means the
computer will talk to you. It will speak the names of buttons, menus,
sliders, and other interface elements, providing the developer has
followed Apple's guidelines when developing their software. What
Apple is developing is similar to screen reader technology similar to
those developed by other companies for Mac OS 9. You can get a hint
of what this will be by doing the following (in Mac OS X 10.2 or
later only):

1). Open your System Preferences and click on the Universal Access pane.

2). Make sure "Enable access for assistive devices" and "Enable
text-to-speech for Universal Access preferences" are checked at the
bottom of the window.

3). Now move your mouse over the buttons and text on the pane,
pausing briefly over them. Your computer should speak the name of
that control or text to you.

This is a Spoken Interface. Apple is going to introduce improvements
to Mac OS X that make these features available system-wide.

It is important to note that this announcement does not mean Apple is
providing features in the Mac OS that will allow them to change their
speech into text (dictation), which is a "Speech Interface." For
that, you will still need iListen.

Some of our customers have been surprised to learn that Apple already
has a speech recognition system in Mac OS X capable of executing
commands based on the user's speech. This system, referred to as
"PlainTalk" in Mac OS 9 and "English Speech Recognition" in Mac OS X
also does not handle dictation, only commands. iListen improves on
Apple's implementation by including pre-defined commands via our
exclusive ScriptPaks <http://store.macspeech.com/#ScriptPaks>. You
can read an excellent overview of Apple's built-in speech recognition
at <http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/mac/2004/03/17/speech.html>.

We are excited about Apple's new Spoken Interface and look forward to
seeing how we can integrate its functionality into future versions of
our products. If you have any further questions about speech on the
Macintosh, please feel free to mail us at <questions at macspeech.com>.
--
T. Patrick Henebry
tphenebry at macspeech.com