[MV] Speakable Items and GUI scripting Failure

John Richardson richards at spawar.navy.mil
Tue Sep 21 13:25:04 PDT 2004

Hello,

This is a "discrete speech recognition" issue. I plan a future test
of the iListen software to perform the same function. This post
relates to people who obviously do not have iListen. However, the
iListen people can feel free to chime in.

I have an application that I want to control via Speakable Items. I
have an iSight camera pluged into a Dual 1.42GHz G4 Desktop. I want
to execute an applescript command by voice command.

I can not get Speakable Items to execute the applescript script.

Background information. Some paths are entered in this post in all
lowercase for my convienience. Some of the steps 1-9 listed below
were in response to the instructions in the Apple Help system
relating to speakable items.

1) The iSight is plugged into the computer.
2) Speakable Items is turned on.
3) The system can recognize commands such as "open Sherlock".
4) A folder that is named the same as the application that needs to
be controlled, does exist in ~($HOME)/Library/speech/speakable
items/applications/application speakable items
5) I used UI Browser to creat a script for GUI scripting purposes. I
compiled the script. When I execute the script in Script Editor , the
required GUI action is performed (click a menu item). The script file
is named "open virtual reality file"
6) The script was dragged into the folder listed in #4 above.
7) The application is speakable. I used my voice to make it speakable
in accordance with the information in Mac Help  relating to speakable
items.
8) Speakable items will recognize the phrase "open virtual reality
file" and the text " open virtual reality file", spelled correctly,
appears in the top pane of the speech command window.
9) In  the ~($HOME)/Library/speech/speakable items/, a get info on
file "close this window" gives a kind of "speakable items document"
and open with "speakableitems" and the icon is a sort of blank
document icon. In the folder listed in #4 above, a get info on file
"open virtual reality file" gives a kind of "script" and open with
"Script Editor (default) 2.0" and the icon is the Applescript icon.

The command "open virtual reality file" does NOT appear in the bottom
pane of the speech command window with all the other command like
"open Sherlock", "close this window", "what can I say",.....

Any ideas on how to get the command to appear in the speech command
window and to get the script to execute when I say "open virtual
reality file"? How can I change the Kind to "speakable items
document" and where can I find speakable items so I can tell OSX to
open it with speakable items?

John F. Richardson