[MV] iListen, other languages

Tara Star tellme at climbtothestars.org
Sat Aug 13 05:24:59 PDT 2005

Chuck Rogers wrote:
> Steph (and everyone else):

> Unfortunately, the French version of the speech engine cannot be  ported
> over to the Mac. We have tried - and we have also gone back to  Philips
> and attempted to work with them to resolve the technical  issues that
> prevent the current version from working on Mac OS X.  Unfortunately,
> these technical issues are of such a nature that there  is no fix
> available - the only solution would be to rewrite the  engine from
> scratch - something Philips is not willing to do.
>
> So it is not possible for a third party to create a LanguagePak, nor
> will we be able to provide a French version of iListen in the
> foreseeable future.
>
> Believe me - we have gone over this with a fine tooth comb, and wish  we
> could give better news. We understand there is a need for French
> dictation software on the Mac, but since we are the only ones
> developing speech software for the Mac and Philips does not feel the
> sales opportunity on the Mac warrants their time and effort, no
> solution will be forthcoming.

This is absolutely dreadful news :-( -- so this basically means there is
No Hope that the growing numbers of French-speaking Mac users?

I have a question regarding the UK English language pack. Although I'm
British, I don't speak English with a real UK accent (somewhat "foreign
expat with a touch of French" -- sample here:
http://old.climbtothestars.org/stuff/what_to_say.mp3 ) -- Is there any
chance this might impair recognition? Will the software adapt to my
accent, as Dragon does? (Yeah, I'm a hesitant buyer...)

Thanks for any info anybody can give me

Steph
--
http://climbtothestars.org/