[MV] IBM ViaVoice 3 and 10.4.7

Chuck Rogers chuck.rogers at macspeech.com
Fri Sep 1 12:14:54 PDT 2006

All:

I'm sorry, but I really need to jump in here. I tried to keep my
mouth shut, but I just can't.

Neither IBM or Nuance has any intention of modifying ViaVoice, and I
have yet to hear from anyone who can get it to work on an Intel Mac.
The last update of ViaVoice was April of 2003 - over 3 years ago!

Meanwhile, we have been busting our arses for the past 6 years and,
by all accounts have (some time ago, actually) finally surpassed
ViaVoice in accuracy - we were ALWAYS better in terms of command and
control. Since April of 2003 we have issued multiple updates AND kept
up with changes in the Mac OS. If you accept the fact that speech
recognition is also more prone to issues than any other type of
software you are likely to use on your computer, our set up and use
is also relatively hassle-free in comparison to ViaVoice.

I really appreciate the fact that many of you have established
profiles in ViaVoice, I really do. But even NY Times Columnist David
Pogue - who is an avid NatruallySpeaking fanatic - reported (in the
NY Times) that he was able to get almost 96 percent accuracy after
using the latest version for only 30 minutes!

So, let me ask: what is it going to take to get y'all to switch to
the ONLY speech recognition software that is GUARANTEED to work on
current Macs, from a company that continues to develop and support
it? Let me know, and I will do my best to provide it if it is at all
in my power. (Keep in mind that at some point, you will have to
switch anyway - when you get an Intel Mac).

Best Regards,

Chuck Rogers, Chief Evangelist
MacSpeech, Inc.