[MV] Naturally Speaking

kaimanl at comcast.net kaimanl at comcast.net
Sat Feb 17 15:36:13 PST 2007

I have the current 15" MacBook Pro with
·  2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
·  2GB memory
·  120GB hard drive1
I partitioned my drive and loaded Windows XP Pro using Boot Camp.  I boot into Windows to use DNS Professional Medical.  So far, it has been great and has exceeded my expectations.  I don't know if the DNS Professional has a better speech engine or not - I think that the main difference is just the specialized vocabulary that comes with it.  I used DNS about 7 years ago for business school (on a Dell laptop) and found that its error rate was too high requiring too many corrections.  The current version is a whole lot faster and more accurate.  Compared to iListen, I find DNS much easier to use out of the box, or with a little training.  Since iListen doesn't offer specialized vocabularies, this is a no brainer for me.  Even without the specialized vocabulary, DNS is faster and more accurate with less training.
I consider myself a Mac die-hard, but for dictating, I'm going to use DNS in windows because it's so much better.

Kai-Man

From: Christopher Bourque <bourquec at cc.umanitoba.ca>