[MV] New user needing guidance

Greg Dennis gregorydennis at verizon.net
Tue Sep 2 10:20:22 PDT 2008

I recently bought an iMac based on what I understood to be a good dictation program now available for Mac. I began with NaturallySpeaking 1.0 and have upgraded on PC thru 9.0 before switching.

Aside from the obvious deficiencies in Dictate, I'm hoping list members can answer some questions on problems I'm having. I have successfully installed the program and been using now for 3 weeks but is it possible I got one of those old "problem" disks? Are these normal or is there something I can do about them:

1. I'm unable to select a specific word in an existing document. When I say "do select [word]"  --even in Dictation Mode -- the program typically selects nothing, or the entire document, as if I had said "select all."

2. When I go back and replace a misheard word, the program often capitalizes the newly dictated word, even if I have "caps off."

3. Under the same circumstances, the program usually leaves an additional space in front of the newly dictated word.

Needless to say, all of these are exasperating.

Another question: Where  can I find how to move among open programs (e.g. "switch to Entourage")? Or is this feature lacking?

And lastly (for now), is it possible to run NaturallySpeaking in the Windows version on a new Mac? And how well does it run? Is that a better solution, for now, until they upgrade the woefully lacking Dictate?

Thanks for any and all help with these questions. I realize they may have been visited many times previously on the list, but I've just joined so please bear with me.

- Greg