[MV] MacSpeech Dictate and Minimum Specs

Chuck Rogers thechuck at mac.com
Tue Sep 16 07:04:08 PDT 2008

Bill:

I have run MacSpeech Dictate successfully on an 1.83 GHz iMac with
1.5GB of RAM, my wife's 2.0 GHz MacBook with 1GB of RAM, and my 2.17
GHz 17" MacBook Pro with 2 GB of RAM. It works about the same on all
of them. So MacSpeech is correct when they say "any Intel Mac."

As with any computer program, MacSpeech Dictate will run slightly
better with more RAM and a faster processor. That is to say, with all
things being equal, I will get very slightly better performance on my
MacBook Pro over the other two machines. But we are talking about a
couple of words per thousand difference here - very slight.

I'd like to draw your attention to the phrase "all things being equal"
in the sentence above (and this will address your comment about
overkill as well). If you have a lot of things going on at the same
time on your computer, this will have some impact on accuracy and how
fast the program can type. To this extent, the faster the processor
and the more RAM you have, the less impact running a lot of stuff at
the same time will have. So there really is no point at which there is
overkill.

That having been said, my advice since I was a wee little consultant
in the late eighties has always been that you should buy the most
topped-out computer you can afford - the key being what you can
afford. Faster computers with more RAM will serve you longer and
become a better bargain in the long run. That doesn't mean you need to
spend $10K on a tripped out MacPro, however. Your results with
MacSpeech Dictate (or any other program) will not be so substantially
greater that you will see that much benefit - unless you are doing
high-end graphics, DTP, or video processing.

In general, buying the fastest Mac in the category in which you are
looking (iMac, laptop, mini, or MacPro) just means it will be more
time before that machine starts to noticeably feel slower to you as
programs are revised to take advantage of faster processor speeds,
more ram, and newer technologies as they become available.

Chuck Rogers