OSX - firewire issues with CDRW and DV camera

stlouisf at grics.qc.ca stlouisf at grics.qc.ca
Tue Dec 3 11:44:46 PST 2002

 Hi, I made the final switch to OS X jaguar this automn. After reinstalling
everything the firewire port stopped working properly.

 I experienced a couple of problems with it:

1- Final Cut Pro (or any software) doesn't recognize my Canon XL1 Dv
camera. I tried with 2 other DV camera (Canon Elura and Sony VX1000)
and nothing worked. Even Apple System Profiler doesn't see the device
plugged in the FW port.

2- I have a QPS 16x10x40x external FW cd burner. When I plug it in the
FW port, OS X freezes. It does not crash, it just freezes. Everything
works well when I unplug (or turn off) the burner. I tried the burner on
my friends G4 (running os9) and he no problem whatsoever with it.

3- After those 2 problems occured, I tested my FW port by pluging my
Tibook to a desktop G4 with a 6pin FW cable. Holding the T key and
everything... nada. Tried to enable a network session throught FW and
again nothing worked.

 I sent my TiBook to Apple Canada repair service and I just got it back
after a month and a half... it's like they didn't fixed anything exept the
chipped case. The FW port doesn't work.

 So I restored the orginal OSs with the CD that came with the TiBook
and tried everything again.... It still doesn't work.

 I think to send my tibook again to Apple but I do not want to wait
another month and a half. (I need that thing!)

 Does anybody experienced similar issues with their FW port or with
similar devices (QPS burner, DV camera) ?

- Francis St-Louis
Videographer
Montreal (QC) Canada
stlouisf at grics.qc.ca

PS: I have a second generation Tibook 550mghz.