[Ti] Airport

Chris Olson chris at astcomm.net
Sat Dec 7 22:40:02 PST 2002

Ken Simpson wrote:
> I got so frustrated with mine, I got rid of it (the airport card) picked
> up a cheap Cabletron Enterasys card and voila, I now get excellent
> reception in my (cavity brick) house and can use it in my backyard and
> in the local park (albeit at reduced speed). Using the Wireless 802.11b
> beta driver from SourceForge.

It's strange that some have poor results with the AirPort card and
others have no problems.  I have a well used and abused G4/400, and I
can still get three bars of signal and 1 Mbps at a distance of ~600 ft
in a totally different building from my office, from our Belkin F5D6130
WAP at the office.  And likewise, at home, I have a D-Link DWL900 and
get full signal no matter where I am in the house or outside, within a
distance of about 300 ft.

> Apart from the fact that it sticks out the side (antenna) and takes up a
> PC card slot which I guess one day I MAY go back to needing, I am much
> happier with it than with the Airport. (can take it out and reduce
> battery drain if I want to too.)

It's possible your AirPort card or antenna was faulty.
--
Chris Olson
Network Administrator