[Ti] Apple's True Market Share!

Loren Schooley loren at flash.net
Wed Dec 11 11:11:34 PST 2002

On 12/11/02 12:56 PM, "Chris Olson" <chris at astcomm.net> wrote:

> Loren Schooley wrote:
>
>> For serious OSX'ers- take an old i386, go to http://www.freebsd.org , create
>> a boot floppy and install FreeBSD over the Net. You can even install via a
>> modem and a boot floppy. You will see OSX in all it's glory.
>
> You shouldn't have to go to all that trouble.  At the OS X login prompt
> just type:
> ">console"  The root file system is modified a little from what pure BSD
> is, but otherwise it's just as fully functional as pure BSD.  Once at
> the shell, type "startx" and after X starts, then type "startkde".  If
> you're a serious BSD user, you'll feel right at home :-)

Sorta-but not really at home at all, because FreeBSD is chock full of
developer tools and ports, the file structure is arranged bit different,
syslogging, programming languages, compilers, font type. It's much different
when you get down and dirty. OSX standard is prolly 20%-the skeleton- of
what FreeBSD is, and maybe 65% for the $500 OSX Server.  FreeBSD XDeveloper
is the cats meow. I just wish BSD could do Aqua, OfficeX, iMOvie and iTunes,
I'd have NetBSD on my Ti tonight. As of now I just use XDarwin on another
terminal. Awesome.