[Ti] Apple's True Market Share!

Ric Perrott ric at ricperrott.com
Wed Dec 11 14:55:11 PST 2002

On Wednesday, December 11, 2002, at 03:44  PM, Paul Russell wrote:

> It's not quite that simple - I can a few issues:
>
> (i) Endianness. PowerPC is big endian, x86 is little endian - lots of
> additional code will be needed for byte swapping file-based data, etc

You mean like every vendor that ships dual platform software has
already been doing for years? Adobe, Microsoft, etc etc? The
Application developers do not have to concern themselves with
endian-ness unless they are doing some intensive assembler. Cocoa and
the MacOS API takes care of all this and removes it as a concern.

> (ii) AltiVec. I wouldn't mind betting that Quartz and other high
> performance chunks o' code are optimised for AltiVec, in which case
> they'll run like molasses on x86 hardware.

Well you don't know that do you? Molasses I think would be pretty
strong considering that x86 will be pushing 4 GHz by the time OS X is
ready for public release. And if QuartzEx was written properly from the
start -- as I'm sure it was -- then the processor specific enhancements
will be easy to port to another architecture.

> (iii) Carbon. Most apps are still only Carbon at best, not Cocoa. It
> will be years before this balance shifts in Cocoa's favour. Carbon on
> x86 would be a major enigneering challenge.

I said this already. However Cocoa is the future and most high profile
OS X apps, Photoshop 7 being the major exception so far, are or will be
Cocoa based applications. Office v.X, the OS X port of Quark, The next
rev of Final Cut Pro are all native Cocoa apps.

Like I said, this is at MINIMUM a year or so away, but it will happen.