[Ti] POLL: was "Apple's True Market Share!"

Mark C. Langston mark at bitshift.org
Sun Dec 15 20:56:17 PST 2002

On Sun, Dec 15, 2002 at 11:13:41PM -0500, Mike Stanley wrote:

> Well, I don't think I'd turn down that feature just because Wintel
> machines use it.  My Dell Inspiron has the speedstep stuff and it works
> quite well.  Chances are any TiBook that implemented it (especially in
> the hypothetical "dual" situation) would be so fast even on battery
> power that it would be an easy tradeoff.  Still, I believe it is
> possible, on the Wintel machines anyway, to enable or disable that
> feature.

OS X already has a "speedstep" feature on the TiBooks.  Look in the
System Preferences, under Energy Saver ->Options.  There's a choice
there for "processor performance" on battery and AC power.  IIRC,
it's set to "highest" for AC power, and "reduced" for battery by
default.

In other words, when running on battery power, the TiBook is reducing
the speed of the CPU to increase battery life.  This is exactly what
the "speedstep" stuff does on the Dell Inspiron.

--
Mark C. Langston                                    Sr. Unix SysAdmin
mark at bitshift.org                                       mark at seti.org