[Ti] S-video to TV

Bill Reburn bill at pacificcoast.net
Wed Dec 18 07:02:42 PST 2002

ADB cables - what? That's crazy - great tip!!!

I learned that short/long pin thing when I went and spent a LOT of $$ on a
really nice S-Video cable to replace the very low budg. one that came with
the DVD player.

The old one needed a little wiggle for the signal to come through -
eventually it wouldn't send anything - I assume the connections to the jack
were lost or something.

Plugged in the new cable - nothing!
Turns out the pins on the new cable are too short OR the port on the Ti is
recessed too deeply to allow the jack to fit in properly.

Very annoying - THANKFULLY - the guy at the video store I go to has a Ti
also - so he knows of the problem.

An ADB cable though?!.. Now I am going to have to waste much of my day
finding one of the many I have somewhere in storage just to see for myself.

On 12/18/02 6:50 AM, "andrew dean" <andrew at docarts.com> wrote:

> If my s-video cable is jiggled wrong, I often lose color.  Some cables have
> longer pins than others and are more susceptible to being "slightly off".
>
> If you send a pal signal to an ntsc tv it will show up as black and white
> and kinda messed up. I wonder if you could be sending ntsc to your pal tv?
>
> Anyways, sticking a normal s-video cable between your laptop and the tv is
> what you are SUPPOSED to do. If the signal isnt working correctly, something
> else is going on.  If you have an old ADB keyboard cable lying around, it
> works as an s-video cable and might be worth testing with.  In my experience
> old adb cables have less tendency to "go black and white" than some
> dedicated cables.
>
> Hope that helped
>
> -andrew dean.
> andrew at docarts.com