[Ti] S-Video to TV

Kynan Shook kshook at mac.com
Wed Dec 18 09:41:34 PST 2002

Apple uses a different connector than normal for S-Video to allow the
Composite Video adapter to work properly; one of the extra pins in the
connector is used for composite video, so the little adapter cable just
connects that one pin and a ground pin to the other end of the
composite adapter.  Unfortunately, I can no longer find the
knowledgebase article that lists all the pinouts, but that's why.

As for why it shows up in B&W, you may be using the wrong type of
cable, or the cable, computer, or TV may have a broken pin.  S-Video
sends two video signals: luminance and chrominance.  Luminance is the
brightness (aka B&W), and chrominance is the hue and saturation.
Sounds like the pin that carries the chrominance is not properly
connected, whether on purpose or otherwise.  Try using the S-Video to
composite video adapter that came with the computer and use that
instead of S-Video as a workaround.

FWIW, S-Video *never* carries sound.  It essentially takes the one
signal sent down a composite video cable, and splits the color and
brightness to allow for a slightly higher quality.

Simon Chapman <sc at pr100.com> writes:
> Not sure if this is a UK issue or not but my TiBook has a 7-pin
> S-Video out
> port while the front panel of my Panasonic 28DK TV has a 4-pin S-Video
> input. Presumably this means that the TiBook sends sound signals out
> with
> the S-Video but that the TV only accepts the video signals and I
> therefore
> have to wire up separately for sound. But my problem is that I can't
> find
> anyone in the UK who stocks an S-Video cable with different plugs at
> either
> end. What do others do? Must cables be made to order?

Kynan Shook
kshook at mac.com
http://homepage.mac.com/kshook/index.html