[Ti] Screen Effects Programming Inconsistency

David Remahl david at ittpoi.com
Wed Dec 25 06:00:49 PST 2002

> Hi Everyone,
>
> My machines rarely have the spare time to get into a ScreenSaver mode,
> but
> sometimes I like them to come up.
>
> My Ti is always plugged into a 17"ASD CRT when it is at home. The
> problem
> with this is that when a ScreenSaver comes on - it usually runs on both
> monitors.. That makes sense, but we all know how processor intensive
> many of
> these Savers are (Flurry or Euphoria for example) - running two of
> them at
> the same time across two monitors kicks the fan to stage 2 in about 10
> minutes - very annoying.
>
> I was just about to ask if single monitor functionality can be
> programmed in
> when I noticed that the Apple Savers (that come with our machines)
> only run
> on the Ti display! All the others I have run on both (although very
> choppy),
> except for Fluid which runs on the larger display only..
>
> I expect the programmers who make these mostly run on towers or never
> use a
> second monitor.

The screen saver developer can decide how his/her screen saver should
act on a multiple display setup. The default is that it is displayed on
both displays. Many third party screen savers have a preference (in the
form of a checkbox) which allows you to set the screen saver to display
on [Main Screen Only].

I think your assertion that many programmers do not use dual monitor
setups. It is not wise for the programmer to program the preferences to
control the behaviour into their saver without having a chance of
testing it on their own system. Beta testers can only go so far, and
most freeware screen saver programmers do not have massiv quality
assurance teams at their fingertips.

> Is that level of coding beyond the reach of someone not working at
> Apple?

The monitor resources often are, I suppose. If you are willing to
devote your time to beta test multiple monitor versions of your
favourite screen effect, then I am sure the author of it would be
interested in doing the necessary programming.

/ Regards, David Remahl
// http://ittpoi.com/ (Snö is not dual monitor aware :)