[Ti] Changing format

William Scammell wscamel at pop.ici.net
Mon Dec 30 10:16:35 PST 2002

>I had a number of jpeg files archived on a firewire hard drive.  I
>recently had a catastrophic drive failure and when I finally got it
>back online (using Norton, Drive 10, Disk Warrior) nearly every jpeg
>file is now got a red icon and nothing will recognize their format.
>Not Quicktime (which they were coded in) nor Graphic Convertor.
>What happened?   When I check their information, they are still jpeg
>files and are the same sized files as before.   Is there a way to
>get them back?

have you tried photoshop or jpegview (freeware) ?

as jpeg is a lossy format, you might want to consider saving the
files to the native .psd format first, then save as again to jpg.

(and yes, doing a "save as" on all those files will be laborious. but
at least you have the files.)

bill

William Scammell                     Creative Director
wscamel @ pop.ici.net                  781-956-3548

http://www.idesignofboston.com provides
graphic, advertising, and web site design services.