[Ti] Laptop Health Warning!

Kynan Shook kshook at mac.com
Sat Nov 23 13:25:43 PST 2002

luke <etyrnal at ameritech.net> writes:
> it seems to me that cancers and types of cancers are appearing more
> frequently than in pre-computer/technological times...

That doesn't mean much.  Maybe that's because we tend to live longer
now than we used to, and the chance of cells turning cancerous (and
being the cause of a person's death) is greater as we age, causing an
increased rate of cancer (assuming that's true, of course), and it is
in fact totally unrelated to any increase in bad conditions, but rather
an increase in *good* conditions in our daily lives.
You really have to think hard about what details any statistic leaves
out; there are always a number of points in anything where the
statistic is flawed.

> I know that before i bought my ear-piece, i could talk about 7 minutes
> before the heat, sweat, and thought coherency-reduction would start to
> set in...
> by ten minutes - uber headache on the phone-side of the head...

Was that caused by the phone's radiation as you seem to imply, or
perhaps by the tonal quality of the phone's speaker?  Or maybe the
difference in position between holding a phone to your ear and using an
earpiece?
I'm just having fun playing devil's advocate here, trying to encourage
everybody to think about what may be presented to them as "facts" or
"strong evidence" of something; and I'm really thinking in a bigger
picture than just this discussion.  Correlation does not imply
causation.
And for a good laugh...
http://www-personal.umich.edu/~smueller/HappyHour/correlation.html

Kynan Shook