[Ti] another VPC nightmare brewing

Trevor J. Hutley hutley at geneva-link.ch
Thu Apr 3 07:05:29 PST 2003

At 08:25 -0600 3-4-2003, Chris Olson wrote:
>The only thing I can think of is that NAT is broken in VPC 6.0.
>Otherwise it should work.  Look at it this way - if you had a
>router, that router would have a DHCP server in it to give your Ti
>an address.  Little cable/dsl routers, like the Linksys, use NAT to
>masquerade the private IP address of your mac on the internet using
>the public IP of the router.  In the case of VPC, Windows should
>have a private address and be using your Ti as the router, using
>Network Address Translation to route the virtual Win box to the
>outside.
>
>I don't have access to a setup like yours - our network is T-1 with
>routers and firewalls on every node.  But you have raised an
>interesting question - is NAT really broken in VPC 6.0?  It would be
>nice to hear from someone who is successfully using it.

Chris - I am running VPC with W98 on my Ti-500 connected directly to
a DSL modem.

I am happy to be a proxy for your experiment.  What do you want to know?

I have no idea how to go about fining out if "NAT is broken in VPC"
but I am  a technical guy and can run any experiment that you design
or suggest.

Let me know if I can help.

regards,  Trevor