[Ti] Function Key Mapping

Jerry Krinock dearjerry at mindspring.com
Sat Apr 5 19:37:40 PST 2003

on Joao Carlos de Pinho <jogme at terra.com.br> wrote:

> To be able to do this, you just need to boot in OS 9, change these settings
> in the Keyboard control panel and reboot in OS X. The changed configuration
> will stick even after restarts. But be prepared to repeat these steps if
> Apple releases an OS X update (10.2.5, 10.2.6, whatever), because the
> previous updates (10.2.1 to 10.2.4) reverted the fn keys to their default
> behavior after the installation process.

Thanks a lot!  It took me awhile to get OS9 working (HD did not have OS9
drivers installed), but the method is this:

Boot into OS9
Control Panels
Keyboard
Function Keys
Check: "Enable Hot Function Keys"
Uncheck: "Use F1 thru F12 for Hot Function Keys"

I submitted this to submitted to http://www.apple.com/macosx/feedback/

on 03/04/01 20:11, Dennis Fazio at dfz at mac.com wrote:

> This design has a history in Apple's dictatorial style of pushing all control
> to the ruthless one-button mouse and creating keyboards of mass deception
> (which they continually deny they have). A team of system designers from newly
> acquired NeoCon Corp tried to change this but irregular programmers kept
> harassing them on their long walks back to the Mountain Dew machines, and
> though they were eventually pushed into a set of smaller cubicles, they
> torched all the Airport basestations as they moved back, so the update is not
> being completed as soon as originally planned.

I get it, Dennis.