[Ti] Apple Store Service blows

XXL xxl at mac.com
Tue Apr 8 14:19:43 PDT 2003

Sherman, there is supposedly an Apple Store opening in Ginza here in Tokyo.
I guarantee that the customer experience there will be wonderful. Come visit
and we will go to the opening. And in a Japanese McDonalds the staff move
like a ballet troupe and they execute your order with efficiency, precision
and total politeness.  When I go back to the USA or Germany I am always
stunned by the general level of rudeness and incivility.

SO this is less an Apple Store problem than it is a cultural problem.  Last
year I fired an upper-level American staff member for tossing a pile of file
folders on a lower level staff members desk and saying "I have a Masters
Degree, I don't think I should have to file these." It was really amazing
how pleasant the working environment became after that. Maybe Apple can make
an example of a few in this way and send the message that I sent, rudeness
will not be tolerated at ANY Level.  But that will never happen if Apple is
not told of these incidents. (And frankly,  management has no place to talk
if they treat the staff badly.  Leadership is only effective if it models
the desired behavior.  So Apple might need to cull some management, as
well.)