"I'm Emptying the Trash now, Dave"

b galahad9 at earthlink.net
Thu Apr 10 13:09:45 PDT 2003

My entire 'gripe' with the Finder, and sluggishness in OSX-Jaguar, is
best summed-up by the annoying dialog box: "Preparing to empty the
Trash"...that will remain on screen for many seconds, even if all
that's being trashed is an alias or an empty folder...And then it
pauses on the 'empty' frame for additional seconds...

Why? What's the matter with just getting it Done, a la OS 9?  I'm
almost grateful that I have to use quark 5 in OS 9 to pay the
bills,it provides expedient relief, and reminds me of the "make it
so" nature of true user-friendliness. I wish Apple would get Quincy
to have a look at the finder, and either fix it or put it out of its
misery. Third-party 'finder substitutes' sound ok, but the homeboy
Finder hates CMs and anything 3rd-party...so that's out, for now.

What is the engineering rationale for a Finder/alert method that
appears so 'self'-absorbed as to need to announce its every move?
Annoying. Does anyone else see this hundreds of times a day, or is it
just me?

~flipper