[Ti] Faster Finder Loading

b galahad9 at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 15 16:17:40 PDT 2003

Ray M paused, thought it over, and spoke thusly:

>My boot time is almost 2 mn
>
>What is the solution?
>
>Thanx
>ray

Two minute boot time from start to an operational desktop? That's
only off by about 40 seconds.

How about Login Items?

Are you set up to Launch Classic on start? [that's a no-no, according
to numerous people]

You mentioned the hard disk keeps spinning, for two minutes. What
else is happening then? You get the colored wheel spinning? You might
want to verify that other applications haven't installed items in
your Login Items, in the System Preferences .

I was on an all-night QuarkXPress jag, last night, and feel too
burnt to offer anything but longshots re: slow Finder boots. I've
seen a case of ONE bad font [out of 8 - 15 thousand on my rig] bring
down the whole thing.

One thing though: Can you log in as root, and see a radical
difference in the time from the blue login screen? This can tell you
if it's question of a corrupt preference file, faulty application, or
what. I'd try booting to the Login window and signing in as 'root'.
If the entire process takes less than 2 minutes, your problem is some
plist/preference. check it out.  :=)

~flipper