[Ti] post-10.2.5 observation (Acrobat Crashes)

b galahad9 at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 18 05:35:55 PDT 2003

Simon Chapman paused, thought it over, and spoke thusly:

>  >But I have confidence in you, so:
>>
>>I launched Acrobat.
>>It crashed as normal. (scientist, verifying his starting assumptions)
>>   I followed your instructions about the language sequence swap.
>>I launched Acrobat.
>>No problem.
>>Quit Acrobat.
>>Re-launched Acrobat (scientist confirming his new unexpected observation)
>>No problem.
>>
>>Absolutely the weirdest feeling.......!!
>>
>>IThanks anyway for sharing this effective but very unusual solution.
>
>Come on guys, give me a break. No-one - not even a lab-full of the world's
>finest software troubleshooters could ever - *ever* - find this solution.
>Nor could anyone ever - *ever* - find it by accident. So, please enlighten
>us about its discovery.
>
>Simon

It worked for me too. if anyone cared to go through various
other-list archives i was griping about Acrobat 5.0.5 quitting
instantly on launch, months and months ago. It was fine when I booted
into OS 9, but refused to load in OSX after one of the revisions. I
finally set "Preview" as my default for .pdf files and added it to my
"Adobe's got Photoshop and AE, and after that???" file.

I switched the same two languages in the international pane, and sure
enough, after one failure to initialize the gargantuan number of
"phone home' spyware, plugins that bloats Acrobat, it launched
perfectly, and quickly too.

I had done tons of full re-installs. measured the entire app plus
'Library' items right down to the Kbs,in both 9 and X, and did
'checksums', etc...and nothing made sense, but the bloated Acrobat is
back. because of a simple switch in languages in the International
pane.. Believe it or not.

~flipper