[Ti] Introduction/questions...

b galahad9 at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 18 13:12:04 PDT 2003

Tim Clarke paused, thought it over, and spoke thusly:

>Hmmm...got to looking at the specs and am wondering:  for multimedia (audio)
>apps that really push these macs to the limit (I typically use 10-20
>instances of virtual synths, samplers, vst plug-ins etc.), would it not make
>more sense for me to go with the faster 5400 rpm drives as compared to those
>4200 rpm drives that are on sale?  Or do these new Hitachi drives make up
>for it with its fast ultra-DMA technology etc?  Are the drives on sale at
>Trans intl the new Hitachi drives?
>
>...confused...

Tim,

Go for a 120 GB drive running at 7200. I do some audio here, also.
You will find that the 667 is not quite fast enough to do complex
patch changes on-the-fly. meaning: Stereo source with VST or TDM
pitch shift/reverb/de-esser type processors that are changed 'live'
to find correct levels. There's some stop-start-listen, repeat,
involved. All of that is moot, when patches are 'saved', but the
process of finding the correct levels on 'returns' means some
start-stop. no biggee. But grab the 7200 rev Drives. IBMs are nice.
And max out your RAM. Go to 1 GB RAM, you'll be glad you did.

~flipper

--
Cubase SX, MOTU Digital Performer 3 (4 on the way)
Absynth, ESX24, Reason 2, Kontakt, EXSP24, NI Pro-53,