[Ti] [OT] Applemusic.com - is the price right?

Christopher Murphy chris at fallt.com
Mon Apr 28 17:34:59 PDT 2003

Dear All,

I run an independent record label and I have to say I 100% agree with the
comments being made regarding the pricing of tracks. I've been
interviewed a number of times about this, and one thing that keeps coming up
is the big five labels' insistence on this circa one dollar price point.

Even from the perspective of someone running a record label (and BTW, we
give away +all+ of our .mp3s for free - yes, that's right, free) I can see
that the average consumer (I'm also a consumer, so I like to think I can see
both sides) will feel a little out of pocket paying essentially the same for
both a physical and non-physical product.

If nothing else the physical product (CD) is a no-hassle tangible archive.
Yes, you can burn archive copies to CD with Apple's service, but this takes
time (not to mention media) and time is money.

Apple have mentioned that you get cover artwork with this. I'm (trying) to
work, very late, here and haven't had a chance to explore this yet. Does
anybody know what this 'artwork' consists of? We began exploring a digitally
distributed form of 'packaging' using PDF a couple of years ago. It's a
solution (a sketch really) that's been featured in a number of magazines:

http://www.fallt.com/fodder

I'm intrigued to see how Apple - well known for their impeccable design -
have handled this.

I personally feel a more realistic price per track would be 30 - 40 cents
and I agree that there needs to be some form of pricing/track length
equation. If not you might like to get into jazz (or classical), Miles
Davis' 'Bitches Brew' (the track, not the album) would be a bargain, it's
27.00 minutes long... =]

PS Trevor Hutley, I owe you a CD (you sent me those little rubber stickers),
can you refresh my memory with your address (I haven't forgotten).

Take care,

Christopher

http://www.fallt.com  |  info at fallt.com